View Broomfleet Washlands in a larger map
Fenland type habitat with a series of fishing ponds.
Leave the M62 at the North Cave junction. Take the B1230 to Newport. Before reaching Newport take the left turning to Broomfleet along Wallingfen Lane. At the end of the road turn right on to Common Road. Continue straight on, the road eventually turns in to a deeply rutted track which is passable with care, car park can be found before the track rises towards the railway. Alternatively turn left off Common Road on to Carr Lane. At the end of the road turn right on to Main Street. Take the right hand bend and follow the road until reaching the bridge over the Market Weighton Canal, don’t cross the bridge, the road is wide enough to safely park. Walk north towards the railway where there is an underpass on to the washlands complex.
Note: The site may be used for cattle grazing and could also be in use for shooting.
- Emerald Damselfly Lestes sponsa
- Willow Emerald Damselfly Chalcolestes viridis
- Large Red Damselfly Pyrrhosoma nymphula
- Red-eyed Damselfly Erythromma najas
- Blue-tailed Damselfly Ischnura elegans
- Azure Damselfly Coenagrion puella
- Variable Damselfly Coenagrion pulchellum
- Common Blue Damselfly Enallagma cyathigerum
- Common Hawker Aeshna juncea
- Migrant Hawker Aeshna mixta
- Southern Hawker Aeshna cyanea
- Brown Hawker Aeshna grandis
- Emperor Dragonfly Anax imperator
- Hairy Dragonfly Brachytron pratense
- Four-spotted Chaser Libellula quadrimaculata
- Broad-bodied Chaser Libellula depressa
- Black-tailed Skimmer Orthetrum cancellatum
- Common Darter Sympetrum striolatum
- Ruddy Darter Sympetrum sanguineum
- Black Darter Sympetrum danae